Following a survey conducted by Reportlinker on the future of work and the gig economy.
Key findings of the survey show that:
- A quarter of respondents (26%) say they would consider exiting the traditional workplace to work as a freelancer or independent contractor
When giving the main reason for a change:
- “Being my own boss” is the number 1 reason why people chose to become freelancers
- A better work-life balance, flexible working hours, a need for freedom and a better compensation are also mentioned.
- The main drawbacks cited are the lack of retirement benefits (27%), a low financial security (19%) and the lack of job security (18%).
Being happy matters:
- 73% of freelancers say they feel a sense of purpose working this way
- And 65% of people believe freelancers are happier than other professionals
To see all the survey results click here.